Sunday, December 27, 2009

Today's Flowers; Exotics;


Heliconia rostrata

Heliconia rostrata is one of the most recognized and widely grown species, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is still considered one of the most beautiful. The inflorescence it produces is one of the most colorful you will ever encounter. The mature plant normally starts to flower in the summer. The flowers last a long time and make an excellent cut flower. It is an easy grower in tropical areas but some room is required because the stalks can reach 7 feet in height. Bright shade is ideal with good moisture in the air and in the soil, but no soggy soils. Heliconias are also heavy feeders.
-related to Bananas and Bird of Paradise
-clump forming, erect banana like foliage



Allamanda cathartica;

A genus of tropical shrubs or vines belonging to the dogbane family (Apocynaceae).
The genus Alamanda is native to South and Central America. Their year-round production of large, bright flowers have made the Allamanda popular ornamentals.

For Flowers from around the world click here please.


13 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Beautiful exotic flowers! Thank you for sharing interesting facts. Heliconis does resemble the bird of Paradise flower!
Wishing you a Happy New Year!

Rosamaria said...

Hi, Titania!
Thank you for your visit!
In a neighborhood where my children's lives, has Heliconia rostrata. I think this flower very exotic and beautiful. Also, walls covered with Allamanda, which makes the city happy.

I hope you have a very happy 2010!

Carver said...

Both are beautiful flowers and wonderful shots.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I agree, it's one of the most beautiful flowers I've seen.

Please come and see My flowers when you're free. Happy New Year!

Florez Nursery said...

I wish i could grow Heliconias. I love this one
Ian

eileeninmd said...

Cool exotic flowers. They are so colorful and big.

Laerte Pupo said...

Nice post, there are many kind of this exotic flower Heliconia.
I have the Alamanda in my garden.
Here in Brazil it have flower all over the year.
Happy New Year!

eden said...

Great shots. Love all your photos and thank you for sharing interesting information about them.

happy new year!

My entry

Arija said...

What lovely things you can grow Titania in your sub-tropical garden!
I hope Christmas was peaceful and joyful for you and wish you all good things ane especially good health in the coming year.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Both these flowers remind me of my years in Singapore.

We are up here in the Gold Coast. The weather is too hot for our liking.

My bros and si tease that I brought the rain. Did it rain where you are.

diane b said...

The Heliconia looks beautiful and I've always enjoyed the Allamanda, They are so tough, I've had one that I've moved a few times and trimmed heavily but it still keeps blooming.

Judy said...

Titania, I thought it was bird of paradise, till I read the post and looked more closely! It is beautiful!!! You are so lucky to have things blooming, while we are cocooned in white!
And have a happy New Year!!

NikonSniper said...

spectacular beauty in your world. it was australia where i had an awakening for birds, butterflies and flowers. i came home with a changed attitude to photographing nature. love all these strange flowers.
thanks for showing us!
nikonsniper steve