Sunday, November 30, 2008

Today's Flowers;

My choice for Today's Flowers are some of my favourites in the garden.






Crucifix Orchids
Epidendrum radicans
Genus:Epidendrum
Species:
E. radicans

Perhaps the most diagnostic characteristic of E. radicans is its tendency to sprout roots all along the length of the stem; most other crucifix orchids only produce roots near the base. Additionally, E. radicans flowers are
resupinate, unlike the members of the Epidendrum secundum complex, E. fulgens, and many other crucifix orchids. E. radicans also differs from E. secundum by bearing no nectar in the flower.For more flowers please go to http://flowersfromtoday.blogspot.com/



18 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Hello there, beautiful photos. I have never heard or seen the Crucifix Orchid before. Great description and always enjoy learning something new. Thank you :)

Sandra said...

You are really blessed with your garden! Fantastic flowers - bye and greetings from Croatia.

Inkivääri said...

What beauties they are - thanks for sharing:)

Meiroca said...

Very beautiful flower!

Meire

www.meiroca.com

Arija said...

Yours are so lovely, mine are in the shadehouse and still refuse to flower. They do not appreciate the cold at all!
At least I can virtually enjoy yours.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!
They are beautiful flowers.
Can you "beam" some over to my garden ?
- cheers Gisela.

arleena said...

Beautiful flowers in your garden.

Gill - That British Woman said...

what lovely photos, and I too learned something new today.

Gill in Canada

♥ Denise BC ♥ said...

Explosion of flowers, beautiful orchids. I thank you for sharing.
hugs, Denise

A Living Nadneyda said...

Stunning... I especially love the first one. Enjoy your garden -- what a joy.

Maria said...

I fall to my knees before your art of photography! Too beautiful :)

Naturegirl said...

How wonderful to see blossoms in your today garden!
Here mine are memories of a summer that has passed..I relive each blossoms in Todays Flowers!
A Canadian lover of flowers!

Norm said...

gorgeous series of orchids flower, it's my first time I heard and see crucifix orchids. I love to see these in real, so pretty...

Carletta said...

What a beautiful bouquet of blooms you have shared with us! Lovely.

Andrea's Garden said...

Wow, you are really in great spot of the world getting to enjoy these orchids in your garden. Beautiful photos. Take care, Andrea

Gemma Wiseman said...

Such a lovely collection of bright colours! Beautiful shots!

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Thank you to all for visiting and comments.

Cathy said...

The orange ones are gorgeous!