Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hungry? Simple, tasty food;

Lemons from the garden. Not sprayed nor waxed. Full of goodness inside and out.


Orange sweet potatoes;


Peeled, diced and ready to cook.


Sweet potato mash; a knob of butter; 1 tablespoon milk, a little grated nutmeg and salt.



Emperor, Red throat fillets. I pick out the few fish bones with tweezers.



Homemade breadcrumbs, eggs from the chooks; dip fish fillets into beaten egg and coat with breadcrumbs. Add a tablespoon of Ghee into a non stick frying pan and fry until golden brown and fish is done.


Serve with lemon slices and homemade Mayonnaise.
I make the Mayonnaise with one egg yolk, 1 dessertspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
a little salt and peanut- or grape seed oil. Make sure the ingredients have the same temperature.
Measure all the ingredients into a jug, whisk then add oil drop by drop at the beginning, as soon as the Mayonnaise starts to amalgamate you can pour the oil slowly. Add oil until you have a smooth, thick Mayonnaise. With a handheld, elctric stick beater it is quickly done and the Mayonnaise turns out well.

For dessert a homemade Lemon Sorbet.
3oo ml lemon juice and 450ml Syrup. Make syrup by cooking 275ml water with 275 g of sugar to make approx. 450 ml syrup. Cook for 1 minute until sugar has dissolved. Let syrup cool before use. Mix with lemon juice. Beat one eggwhite until almost stiff and add to mixture.
Pour into icecream machine and churn.
Bon Appetit!


10 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

It doesn't get any better than this. One of the most delicious meals I have seen. You've given me a great idea for supper tonight Titania. Thank you for sharing your culinary talents. Your photos are superb and yes I am hungry, even more so after reading this :)))

Anonymous said...

Am I too late for dinner??
Will you accept an order for 10 lemons from your garden:))
Great posts..
cheers Gisela

Sue Catmint said...

yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Arija said...

Yum...can I come to dinner?

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Thank you Denise , it is simple but always delicious.

No, Gisela never to late and at the same time you can pick some lemons!

Catmint,
Arija,
thank you for your comment.

MedaM said...

How wonderful it is to have your own lemon tree in your garden with such a great crop. The other thing that surprised me was a potato. I’ve never seen such a shape of potato in my life before. Your dinner looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing your culinary recipe.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

MedaM,these funny shaped potatoes are sweet potatoes. They come in many colours, I cook mostly this orange one, or a dark pink with white flesh, which tastes a little like chestnuts. They are all absolutely delicious, very sweet.

Judy said...

Sweet potatoes come in colours other than orange?!! I usually bake them, like regular potatoes, but not so long. Less work than peeling and chopping, anyway!
And I am going to have to try the recipe for the sherbert!! Looks wonderful!

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Judy, they are delicious baked, when they caramelize a little on the edges!

Kilauea Poetry said...

These look good..my sister makes lemon mede wine out of hers..endlessly trying to perfect it I guess!
I have a friendship award for you..(you must be sick of me already)...I really am laughing- anyway, come pick it up if you like.